Dr. Guohua Xia is a Board Certified psychiatrist, researcher and psychologist. In 1987,
He received his medical degree from Beijing Medical University. He then came to the
US for further training in professional psychology for psychotherapy and thus earned
both a Masters and Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He completed
his medical internship at the University of Texas-Houston and graduated from the
psychiatric residency training program at the University of Texas Southwestern
Dr. Xia has always believed in a comprehensive treatment approach to help his
patients, so he utilizes psychotherapy, social intervention, and other
non-pharmaceutical and alternative treatment methods. Dr. Xia also uses both his
cross-cultural experience and research to broaden his treatment outlook to
benefit his patients and the community.
- First doctor who brings TMS for the treatment of mental disorders to the larger
- Principal Investigator for several multi-site and international clinical trials to study the efficacy and safety of TMS for the treatment of brain disorders.
- Won a number of national and international honors for his research, including a NARSAD Young Investigator Award for his study of TMS treatment for bipolar depression.
- Involved in many pioneer studies, resulting in multiple peer reviewed research articles published in academic journals including Lancet.
- Included in "Who's Who in the World" since 2009
- Listed in the "Guide to America's Top Psychiatrists" by Consumers' Research Council of America
- One of the first few psychiatrists in Mainland China practicing family therapy